We’ll always strive to offer you the best possible value because at Hearing Works, we know that every little bit helps.

That’s why we want to share this exciting news with you: it’s now even easier than ever to get a tax break if your hearing loss qualifies as a disability.


Claiming for your out-of-pocket medical expenses (like at least some of the cost of your hearing devices) is easier than you might think. You simply download the ITR-DD form from the SARS website (there’s a link at the end of this blog), complete and bring it with you when you come to Hearing Works.

We’ll conduct a comprehensive hearing test and check if your hearing loss meets the SARS criteria for moderate-to severe hearing disability. If you do, we’ll complete our portion of the form for you.


To prove that you have a disability that qualifies for this tax break, you have to show that you have a ‘moderate to severe limitation’ that results in a ‘significant restriction’ in your ability to carry out basic daily activities. Most permanent hearing loss that requires correction with hearing devices, would qualify.

Then, it’s important to determine whether your disability counts as a ‘temporary’ (up to one year) or ‘permanent’ (lasting for more than one year). We follow the criteria for permanent hearing disability.


SARS made some important rule changes last year, and they could well work in your favour. If your disability began on or after 1 March 2019, your ITR-DD form is valid for 10 years once it’s been endorsed.

If, however, you had your disability before that date, your form is now valid for an additional 5 years beyond its original expiry date. Whichever form you have – never throw it away. You will need to produce it if SARS decides to audit you.


As registered medical practitioners, Hearing Works hearing care professionals can endorse ITR-DD forms.

We can also recommend, fit and supply hearing devices that are tailored to your hearing loss, lifestyle and budget.

Unfortunately, we can’t give you tax advice apart from telling you that this scheme exists. You’ll need to talk to your accountant for any further advice in this regard.

account android arrow-alt-circle-down arrow-alt-circle-left arrow-alt-circle-right arrow-alt-circle-up arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up author bars behance blogger buffer caret-down caret-left caret-right caret-square-down caret-square-left caret-square-right caret-square-up caret-up cart-menu-1 cart-menu-2 cart-menu-3 cart-menu-4 categories chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up clock close comments cookies copyright coupon-discount date-modified date-published discord double-arrows-down double-arrows-left double-arrows-right double-arrows-up dribbble envelope-open envelope eye facebook fax flickr foursquare github gmail google-drive grid-view hashtag hollow-ring homepage instagram ios level-down-alt level-up-alt line link linkedin list-view login logout long-arrow-alt-down long-arrow-alt-left long-arrow-alt-right long-arrow-alt-up medium messenger mobile-menu mobile phone pinterest place qq quote-left quote-right quotes reading-time-hourglass reading-time-stopwatch reddit rss scroll-to-top search shazam shopping-bag shopping-cart side-panel-opening-2-left side-panel-opening-2-right side-panel-opening-left side-panel-opening-right skype slack small-arrow-down small-arrow-left small-arrow-right small-arrow-up sms snapchat soundcloud spinner spotify stackoverflow sync telegram tiktok times-circle tinder trello tripadvisor tumblr twitch twitter viber vimeo vine vkontakte website wechat whatsapp windows wishlist xing yelp youtube zoom